Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Cucumber Kimchee.

A Korean dish that hubby introduced me to when we live in Alabama four years ago. I’m not that adventurous when it comes to different types of food until I met him. He took me to the Korean restaurant near to our house and I was a little hesitant to step in because I know I’m a bit picky. Anyhow, we got in and not too many choices.

The restaurant was an old converted small wood house. I was not sure what to eat and this kimchee dish caught my eyes. I know hubby has eating kimchee before and he started to like it and he wants me to try it. Yea, I did, but boy it was not good- - - the smell was horrible, plus so strong and spicy. Not my taste.
Then, sometime later we go back to the restaurant and I became brave and try it again. Hubby has the same experience when he first ate cucumber kimchee and now we are crazy about it. The more you eat it, the more you like it. Hubby makes a bunch and stores it in the fridge and that is where the taste gets better. He tried to make it before but it tastes different till he found the Kimchee base in a local Asian store and it is much easier to make, and it tastes a lot better. 3 medium Cucumber.
Kimchee Base ( we bought it in Asian Store).
2 tbsp. Brown Sugar
1/4 cup shredded Carrots for garnish.
2 tbsp. salt.

Procedure:
- Slice the cucumber lenght wise and de-seed with a spoon, cut into half moons. Sprinkle with kosher salt, set for 15 minutes and wash thoroughly.
-Mix  the cucumber and the kimchee base.
-Marinate over night and it is good to go.

4 comments:

  1. You did it, hopefully we got chance to share it one day Nance.

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I never had cucumber kimchee, but I had tried cabbage kimchee. I would love to try the cucumber. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nance, i have been waiting for this recipe of yours. I can't wait to try it. I'm so glad you finally posted it. It looks yummy :)

    ReplyDelete

♥Turkey Sandwich♥

Quarantine food for dinner. :-)  Turkey sandwich plus chicken soup, and a side of pickles. Simple and easy! One of my kids favorite easy me...